Believe it or not, your health is in your hands! Our hands are particularly blessed with virtues of wellness. The four fingers and the thumb represent the five major building blocks or the ‘Panchamahabhootas’ of which the entire universe is made viz. Sky (Ether), Air, Fire, Water and Earth.
According to natural sciences, the disease is nothing but a limitation that emerges in the continuity and balance of these five elements.
TYPE OF MUDRAS
The 6 important Hand Mudras are explained below:
SURYA MUDRA OR MUDRA OF THE SUN
This Mudra is performed by touching the tip of the ring finger to the base of the thumb and exerting pressure on the finger with the thumb.
- It balances the body, reduces body weight and obesity. It increases body heat and helps in digestion
- It reduces hypertension and cholesterol and builds strength
- It is beneficial in diabetes and liver defects
Weak persons should not perform this hand posture and DO NOT do this hand posture for a long time in hot weather.
PRITHVI MUDRA OR THE MUDRA OF EARTH
In this Mudra, the tips of the thumb and the ring finger are touched together. The other fingers are kept straight.
- Regular practice of this Mudra is helpful in body weakness, thinness and also obesity
- It improves the functioning of the digestive system and reduces the deficiency of vitamins
- It gives energy and lustre to the body
APAN VAYU MUDRA OR THE MUDRA OF HEART
This Mudra is a combination of Vayu Mudra and Apan Mudra. The tips of the thumbs, the middle finger and the ring finger touch each other while the index finger touches the base of the thumb with a slight pressure. The little finger remains straight.
It gives the benefit of Apan Mudra and Vayu Mudra as explained earlier.
- It is helpful in Heart and Vayu diseases and gives health. People with a weak heart should do it daily. It is very beneficial for people who have suffered a heart attack in the recent past
- It removes gas from the stomach, aids in asthma, headache and high blood pressure
- If it is performed 5 to 7 minutes before climbing stairs, it aids in easy climbing
SHOONYA MUDRA OR THE MUDRA OF EMPTINESS
The tip of the middle finger is put at the base of the thumb and the thumb comes over the finger with a slight pressure of the thumb being exerted on the finger. The other 3 fingers are kept straight.
- Regular practice of this Mudra helps in reducing ear pain and watering of the ears
- If this Mudra is done for 1 hour daily it can benefit in hardness of hearing
- The bones become strong and it is beneficial in heart disease
- It strengthens gums and is helpful in throat problems and thyroid disease
GYAN MUDRA OR THE MUDRA OF KNOWLEDGE
Touch the tip of the thumb and the tip of the index or 1st finger together. The other 3 fingers have to be kept straight.
- It helps in meditation and concentration and reduces negativity of the mind
- It improves memory and with regular practice students can improve grades and intelligence
- It aids in alleviating a headache, insomnia, and hypertension and reduces anger
VARUN MUDRA OR MUDRA OF WATER
This Mudra is made by touching the tips of the thumb and the little finger.
- It reduces dryness of the skin and improves skin lustre and softness
- It is useful in skin diseases, acne and blood defects. It improves facial beauty
Persons suffering from Asthma and respiratory problems should do this Mudra for a short duration only.
IMPORTANT: MUDRAS ARE VERY POWERFUL. IF PRACTICED REGULARLY, YOU’LL EXPERIENCE THE HEALTH BENEFITS.